Wednesday, March 20, 2013

'This is me' challenge: Children

'This is me' challenge: Children!

I love my kids. They teach me new things every day. I'm definitely not the most patient mom, and I'm probably more sarcastic and silly than sweet and gushy, but I'm pretty sure they like me a little too. :)



*Give your children's names, birth dates and places.
Thor is 13, Erik is 11 1/2 (that half always counts!) and Annika will be 7 in a month. They were all born in different hospitals in Utah County.

*How did you choose their names?
We wanted them to be Scandinavian names. Thor was named after a great friend of Nate's named Thorval who died just before our Thor was born. Erik was what we had planned from the beginning and it just fit perfectly. When we finally found out we were having a girl we had a few different names we were playing with (we had always wanted a Bridget but she just wasn't one!), but Annika fit perfect when we met her.

*What were the circumstances of each child's birth?
Thor was 4 days late, and huge. So they induced me. He was 9 lbs 2 oz and 21 inches.
I was induced with Erik 1 week early and he was 9 lbs 4 oz 21 inches.
I begged them to induce me as early as possible with Annika, so she was 10 days early and was 9 lbs 6 oz 21 inches. 

*What are some funny/interesting things about each child?
Thor used to be completely OCD as a child. He would always line every thing up, from shoes, to toys, all in specific orders. We have some funny pictures of this I'll have to dig up! He was probably the cleanest kid in the world, would never get his hands dirty or his face. (If only that lasted ;)
Erik was our tough baby. He got really, really sick around 18 months old and was in the hospital for 10 days, had surgery at Primary Childrens, and had to learn how to walk all over again. He was so amazing through the whole thing. When he was first sick we didn't even know it, because he was so happy and good!
Annika is Daddy's little princess of course, and 6 going on 16, as they say.

*What do you love most about each child?  What are their strengths and weaknesses?
Thor, being the oldest, is definitely my best helper because I know I can rely on him to do things. He is becoming a really sweet buddy to have around. I think it comes from being the oldest, but he is extremely bossy. He's a great babysitter though!
Erik is very kind and sweet, and always willing to help, he's just a little (okay a lot) spacey and forgets what he was helping with seconds after he was asked ;) He is such a sweetheart and always right there when you're not feeling good or something.
Annika keeps me on my toes. She is very outgoing and adventurous. But she always wants her way, so I have learned I have to be consistent (still working on that!) with her so she doesn't end up being a spoiled stinker like those darn 'babies' always end up being ;) (I'm the baby of 8...I get told that all the time from my siblings!)

*What are your children involved in?
All three kids are yellow belts in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and love to sing.
Thor plays Junior Jazz basketball, and hopes to play his freshman year as well, and is already in the pre-football camp for Provo High.
Erik isn't all that into sports, but his favorites are football and running. He loves to draw and do anything science related, he's very creative.
Annika loves running and dance. She's always making something, out of paper or fabric, always designing new clothes for her dolls or crowns or cards.

*How do you spend your time with your children?
On a typical day, homework, chores, cooking (my kids love to watch/help me cook, and Thor is becoming quite the baker already), reading, and some quality Jeopardy time. Haha yes, Jeopardy! We love to learn the answers, and feel awesome when we already knew them ;)

*What are your favorite family activities?
All of the above. We love to play outside together, workout together, read great books (Nate is known for reading The Hobbit to everyone), cooking and baking. We haven't had too much opportunity for many family trips because of Nate's job in the past, but now that it has changed hopefully we'll be able to add traveling to this list!


No comments:

Post a Comment