Wednesday, February 13, 2013

This is me: Work

Work:

*What jobs have you had? 

  • My very first job when I was 16 was at The Wirthlin Group in Orem (one of the many names it's had!). I did telephone surveys. I was pretty good at getting people to answer and keep them long enough to get the survey done!
  • After that I worked at Modus Media in Lindon (again, one of the many names). I worked in the call center for a number of different technology companies (Compaq tech support, customer service/returns, etc.)
  • Then when I was 19 Nate and I both started at Circuit City together, while we were engaged. He worked in the Electronics department. I worked in the Computer department. We transferred to Portland CC and I worked in computers as well as Customer Service Manager training. I worked at Circuit right up until I had Thor.
  • Then when Thor was about 6 months I went back to Modus Media (I was done with retail!) until about a year after I had Erik.
  • Now I work for myself, I own and manage a residential cleaning company called All Purpose Cleaners.


*What did you like/dislike about each job?
I liked working with people and being able to solve problems for them.

*What did you learn at each job?
I learned how to deal with angry, upset people, and how to make them feel happy, even if the situation still wasn't how they would have liked.

*Have you used any of that knowledge in later years?
I still do this in my job now and then, if someone isn't happy with a cleaning or if they've had a bad experience in the past with another company. Plus, I think everyone uses this skill when they have a family, almost every day!

*How did you get along with your co-workers?
My favorite co-workers were at Circuit City. They were a lot of fun and great people. Plus, I got to work with my husband in one department over ;)

*Which was your favorite job?
I really don't think there was a favorite, I learned so much at each job and I don't regret my time spent at any of them.
My "job" now is probably my favorite because it just seems to be another part of my life, it doesn't always feel like a job. I hire people (and unfortunately fire people), I am the secretary, the accountant (Nate definitely helps me with that, and he's taught me a lot), the customer service agent, the debt collector, I do it all. Sometimes I feel like a failure, but when things are running smoothly it does give a great sense of accomplishment!

*How many years until you retire?
I guess I could retire any time I want to, but in the end we'd like to keep our business running successfully so that it can just run itself or our kids can take over.

*Do you have any big plans for your retirement?
I would love to travel with Nate, and go on a mission together.

No comments:

Post a Comment