Sunday, February 3, 2013

This is me: College Years

College years:

*Did you attend college or a trade school of some sort?
After high school I decided to just take institute classes at the Orem Institute of Religion. I was also in the Latter-day Celebration show choir with Brother Brenchley. I made some amazing friends there.
I finally decided to get back into school, and I had my heart set on going to cosmetology school, so I signed up at Von Curtis (now Paul Mitchell academy or something?). Shortly after I started and had learned all the basics, Nate and I decided to move to Portland. I was planning on transferring to a school there but instead I found out I was pregnant and VERY sick.

*What did you think was the hardest thing about your chosen profession at that time?  Did it turn out that way?
I didn't think it was hard, but it wasn't exactly what I had thought it would be when I dreamed of doing it all my childhood.

*What dumb things did you do during those years?
I wouldn't change anything I did, but I might have waited a little longer to get married so I could grow up first ;)

*What good things did you do?
Being in Latter-day Celebration was such a huge part of that time in my life. We were able to perform all over and travel to Texas for our tour. There were so many wonderful experiences during that time.

*Did you live on your own?  How well prepared were you for that?
I didn't live on my own until we got married, but I think we made it work. We had no family close by so we had to rely on each other. We worked hard (we worked at the same place so we had plenty of time together!) and had lots of fun on our days off.

*What life lessons did you learn?
My testimony was definitely strengthened during those years in Latter-day Celebration. I learned a lot from cosmetology school that has been useful in helping my own family/friends with hair and makeup, etc. And I have some wonderful memories of my mom even though she wasn't close by. She had an 800 number at her work that I could call her on, so we could chat often and keep up on everything that was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment