Monday, November 5, 2012

Freezer Meal Monday!

In case you haven't heard me raving about freezer meals, here you go! ;)

The backstory:
My sister Denise lives in another state so we often call each other and chat while we clean the house, do laundry, etc. Our conversations start like this, "Want to clean?" or, "I'm folding laundry, wanna chat?" haha.
We decided we needed to start "cooking together" as well, so we started planning a whole day to just chat and make freezer meals! We both pick a day that will work with our schedules (We usually try for Monday, mostly because I'm selfish and it's the only day I don't have Zumba in the mornings), plan a big list of meals (usually we have pretty similar menus so we can talk about what we're doing or what worked best, etc.), go shopping beforehand (we've had to reschedule a few times because one of us forgot to go shopping or something!), and plan it all out.
We've come up with our own pinterest board that we can both post to, this was Denise's brilliant idea, where we pin all our freezer meal "want to try" recipes, or recipes that have worked for us in the past. We've done it enough times now that we have our favs that we cook each time, and we'll throw in some new ones to try and see how our families like it. Sometimes we find recipes specially made for the freezer, and sometimes we just use our regular recipes and freeze it and they work out great (using a regular recipe depends on what it is, some things don't freeze as well as others). We try to make meals that use similar ingredients for at least a few, so we can buy in bulk and just split it up. We'll often double at least a couple of the meals so we have more than just what's on the list. Ziplock bags and aluminum pans are great for storage.

These have been SO helpful for our family! I am currently the ward compassionate service leader, so when I'm not able to get a volunteer for a meal, I can just grab a meal from my freezer and get it ready for them, without any worry of figuring out what to make someone! They've also been a life saver for random surgeries or ER visits, because the instructions are all on the container/bag, so Thor can just throw it in the oven or on the stove and dinner is taken care of. They're MUCH more economical and definitely healthier than buying a frozen dinner from the store.
You should try it ;) If you only have a few on hand, that's better than none. And I promise you, some day you will be truly grateful you had one in there! 
If you have any suggestions of things to try or that you love, let me know, we're always looking for more ideas!

Here is our pinterest board if anyone needs ideas: 
And here is MY menu for this round of meals:
(If you want the recipes, let me know, it's a lot to list here!)
Chicken Tikka Masala
Cafe Rio Chicken (The pork is also amazing, but I've made it a lot lately)
Crock Pot Orange Chicken (this is a new one to my freezer meal list, we'll see how it works out!)
Breakfast Pockets (also new, but I think Denise has tried it?)
Borscht
Lasagna
Chilean Empanadas
Taco meat - hamburger and shredded chicken (This usually gets eaten throughout the week for lunches)

Let me know if you do freezer meals, have any ideas, or try it out, I'd love to hear about it!





3 comments:

  1. I have not done many freezer meals myself, but a group of ladies in my ward have a group where each of them makes so many of one kind of freezer meal(enough for everyone in the group) then they get together and trade with each other. Then they all have about 2 weeks worth of freezer meals where no two are the same and you share the recipes. I really should do some freezer meals. I need an extra freezer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course this works better if your freezer is bigger than 15"x14"x23".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, my list is:

    Lasagna - 2
    Sloppy Joes - 2
    Cafe Rio Pork / Cilantro Lime rice
    Chicken corn chowder
    Butternut squash soup
    Tikka Masala
    Bunch of waffles

    Danielle, I think that would be so fun to set up a group like that, might have to give a shout out to my local friends. And you would be surprised how much you can fit in the freezer when you use bags and freeze them flat - I usually have extra room when I am done cooking because mostly all I have in there is the freezer meals.

    ReplyDelete